Thursday, June 29, 2017

The Long View: Being, in no particular order, 25 things I've bumped into along the way and have not forgotten. Yet.




1. Africa, Nattabi & Mukisa
At 56, I came to Africa, lived in the Rwenzori Mountains for the next 3 years or so. I fell in love with the place, the people, and one woman in particular, Nattabi. I married her. I've never been the same. How much she changed me, how much Africa changed me, and how much I changed myself is a calculation I'll be refiguring until the end of my days. A couple years after we married a tiny African was born right in the center of our lives and he's never left. His name is Mukisa. Mukisa Douglas Lugose Basoma Cruickshank in full. I wonder how old he'll be when he can spell and pronounce his entire name. Might be awhile. He is a delightful young gentleman and he brings his mother and me endless delight and satisfaction. Long may he, and we, wave.

No comments:

Post a Comment