Friday, July 7, 2017

The Long View: Being, in no particular order, 25 things I've bumped into along the way and have not forgotten. Yet.



23. Generosity
People have given me cars, thousands of dollars, tens-of-thousands of dollars, put me up in their homes for months, helped me in uncountable ways over and over. Once I was given a trip to Europe, all expenses paid. And people have given me extraordinary amounts of their time, good advice, kindness. Meanwhile, I've often been less than generous, far less. Selfish to put it bluntly. It took me a long time to wise up, to acquire the strength to believe in generosity. To grasp that karma is a real thing. Finally, I understand it, its value, and much too late in life I began to practice it in an authentic way. As I became more generous in thought and deed, a strange thing happened: generosity came back to me. I suppose there was an element of selfishness to my embrace of generosity. Perhaps that's always the case. In any event, I had to learn it and keep learning it, and always will. And should I forget even just briefly, I know my son will remind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment