Monday, July 3, 2017

The Long View: Being, in no particular order, 25 things I've bumped into along the way and have not forgotten. Yet.


12. Money
As James Baldwin pointed out, money is like sex: When you have it, you don't think about it. When you don't have it, you think of little else. These days, I think of little else. Boo-hoo. And as Tammy Wynette sagely remarked, it doesn't buy happiness, but it does take the edge off misery. I'm in favor of misery avoidance. To achieve it, I have -- and continue to -- do all manner of work whether I like it or not. I also borrow shamelessly, I'm ashamed to say. I've never figured out how to have money flow to me regularly, uninterrupted, plentifully, except for brief periods of time now in the distant past. Boo-hoo. Some people achieve a state of plenty-money with apparent ease, apparently. They are a wonder, supernatural and magic. I now live in a place where many people -- both rich and poor -- assume I'm wealthy, even though they are often better fixed financially than I am. It's odd. When I have money, I give chunks of it away to friends, family, strangers. Never loan money, always give it away. A rich man taught me that. The equation of having money and having happiness is vague at best, as many have pointed out. As equations go, Tammy Wynette's comes closest to the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment